Wednesday, September 09, 2009

More on Deliberate Pruning...


To nail a virtue means rediscovering one solid square foot of Reality. The idea that work can sanctify wasn't original to St. Benedict, but the way he said it helped make Western Christendom a healthier, holier place. If we think of our work as a prayer, we can find ourselves fulfilled by digging a ditch, and digging it as well as ever we can. Likewise in answering e-mails, baking casseroles, bathing squirming toddlers who accidentally urinate in one's face -- and even, though the blood drains from my face as I say it, in grading student essays. Any work that isn't a sin (liturgists, I mean you) can serve to sanctify.



Well worth the read here.

:)

2 comments:

Stacey said...

this is awesome. and I mean that in both senses of the word.

you have captured what it is to embrace our vocation wholly in order to become, well, holy. :)

thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

I love John Zmirak.