Monday, September 28, 2009

A Mama's Heart

You remember this young man? The kid down the street in our old neighborhood with 8 million toys and dogs?

Well, once we moved a few city blocks over, it was understandable that we have pretty much lost touch.

I say "pretty much" because the boys did invite him over a few times, and he had accepted and come over for a few afternoons and dinners. It was good to see him again, and notice that although they all have grown a bit, the kids still got along great.

Lately, though, Action Man's phone calls have gone unreturned, and my Mama instinct figured that that friendship has been decidedly ended. After all, the kiddo is now in Junior High. Little Love's antics probably weren't that much of a draw... (and yet the antics of young-ins are exactly what a moody teenager needs... I know from experience!)

And then, news about our young friend came to my reluctant Mama ears. Turns out his family has moved. The mom and boys are staying with her parents, while the dad is living elsewhere.

And our oh-so-young friend? Was seen in an alley with an older boy presumably doing drugs.

My Mama heart just broke.

This kid had promise. Although... DH and I always suspected something about this family, but never could put our finger on it. I was always looking for clues or signs, since the relationships just seemed "off." Not seeing anything concrete, I decided to just "be there" for this kid, in any way I could. He would chat with me about his family and extended family, but there was never any hint of anything awry.

He was a troublemaker at school, I was told by a teacher I happen to know. She was astonished I let my kids play with him. I told her there were boundaries, and the play was always at our home... but there hadn't been a remote peep of anything inappropriate, ever. In fact, the letter he wrote to our kids when we moved was amazing. He exhorted Action Man to take care of his "beautiful family" and he told the boys they were his "best friends ever."

This could have ended differently. I know it's not over, but this whole path could have been avoided. I'm angry and saddened. I'm not sure exactly who I am angry with, but the sadness is overwhelming.

This young man had promise.

I pray that he finds hope and peace... and comes to know the depth and the love of a Mama's heart.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...this boy needs to be a special prayer project...I will remember him in mine...looking forward to seeing y'all soon!!!