Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Getting my Bearings

Even though our move did not wrench us from our very familiar north Texas town, I have found myself quite a few times driving in circles as I navigate the 'quickest' way to my destination. Our new neighborhood somewhat resembles a snail shell in that it winds in on itself, and I have found it to be a bit confusing especially when I need to go north and end up exiting the area through the southern route.

It's a good thing we didn't move out of town!

And speaking of, I really love our town. It's not a trendy one. And it's rather ugly in parts. In fact, it's increasingly becoming *not* the place to live, if you know what I mean. But that is according to 'those' people who decide what's in and what's not.... our town is in the not. Maybe that is why people turn up their noses at me when they find out where I live. Why they don't return e-mails when I reveal that 'secretive' information.

Ah well. Luckily, we won't be judged by the town we live in when we reach the pearly gates, right?

And this town has some major perks.

It's exceedingly family-friendly.
All (or most) of my friends live here.
There is a real Catholic presence.
The parks and rec department is amazing.
The area where we live is (surprisingly) safe.
Our neighbors are friendly and look out for each other.

I imagine most towns are like this, with good areas and bad. I know that we all do the best we can to keep our children and our families safe. We are not all excessively blessed when it comes to finances, and must make do. There are those better off than us, and those in much worse conditions.

And we must remember that we are not entitled to the level of comfort we enjoy. It is a blessing from God. We must use these blessings to do His will.

And most especially, practice the virtue of charity in all things.

:)

3 comments:

Mrs. Bear said...

Wow, I loved this post. I can't believe people would behave that way toward you just based on where you live. (...Well, I can, but you know what I mean.)

Which is weird, since I saw all the beautiful house photos you posted, and they look absolutely beautiful. What exactly do these people consider a nondesirable neighborhood?

Anyway, I loved these parts especially: "Ah well. Luckily, we won't be judged by the town we live in when we reach the pearly gates, right?"

and

"...Our neighbors are friendly and look out for each other.

I imagine most towns are like this, with good areas and bad. I know that we all do the best we can to keep our children and our families safe. We are not all excessively blessed when it comes to finances, and must make do. There are those better off than us, and those in much worse conditions.

And we must remember that we are not entitled to the level of comfort we enjoy. It is a blessing from God. We must use these blessings to do His will.

And most especially, practice the virtue of charity in all things."

Exactly.

Erin Manning said...

Hi, Nutmeg! Great post!

I've tagged you for a book meme, if you want to do it--details at my site. The rules call for the book closest to you, but I think in your case any book that's unpacked should count!

:)

nicole said...

I wonder if people just don't think about the residential areas of the town where you live. I know I tend to only think of the sports and professional districts, completely forgetting that people actually live there! Plus, they have been in the news lately so much that some people probably have very misleading ideas. Your home is beautiful, and community is so much more than a zip code.